| || |
1. The Square of 1905
It is the main square of the city and one of the oldest as well. The square got its current image in 1930s when two historically important squares — Kafedral’naya and Torgovaya — were brought together. Previously these squares were divided by the Bogoyavlensky cathedral, frequently visited by Romanov dynasty (that’s why one of the squares was called Kafedral’naya). As the cathedral was destroyed, the space became common. The second ex-square, Torgovaya (Torgovaya means market in Russian), always served as an important local marketplace.
The current name of the street — The Square of 1905 — refers to the tragedy of October 1905 which took place there: «chernosotentsy» (Russian radical monarchists), local Cossacks and revolutionaries headed by Yakov Sverdlov had a conflict during a manifestation, and it ended up by several deaths. In honour of Yakov Sverdlov, the city itself was named Sverldsovsk in 1924 and was called this way up to 1991.
Nowadays this beautiful square represents a unique mix of historical buildings and monuments (including the famous Lenin’s monument) and modern commercial venues, for example, the shopping and entertainment center «Europe». The key winter city events are annually organized on the square. Every end of December, there’s always the famous Ice City of and a Christmas tree for New Year’s Eve. The International Ice Sculpture festival Europe-Asia is organized exclusively there.
| || |
2. Actor’s House (former mansion of S. Tupikov)
Architect Y. Dyutel
A mansion at the address of 8 Marta, 8, was built in 1890 under a project of Ekaterinburg’s chief architect Yuliy Dyutel. The project was ordered by the city head Ilya Simanov, but at the construction stage it was bought out by the famous Ural owner of goldmines Stepan Tupikov. The final result of the construction works — a beautiful, small one-floor palace — had an absolute twin in Saint Petersburg. After the death of the businessman his wife became the only owner of the mansion. Lonely and religious, the woman liked to surround herself by children. Every year Mrs. Tupikov organized for them Christmas balls and personally welcomed her little guests.
In October of 1988 the mansion was open for a public as Actor’s House. The actors of the Sverdlovsk region Department of the Russian Theatre Workers Association continue Mrs. Tupikov’s tradition and invite families to the New Year celebration "Christmas Tree in Tupikova’s House".
| || |
3. Ekaterinburg Gymnasium for males named after the Emperor of Russia Alexander II, now Gymnasium No. 9
Lenin Avenue, 33
Architect K. G. Turskiy
The first gymnasium for males of Ekaterinburg took the name of the Emperor Alexander II and opened its doors on the 22nd of November, 1861, — in the year of the abolition of serfdom in Russia.
Initially the Gymnasium occupied only the second floor of the building which belonged to the Mountain Institute. Later, in September 1879, all the building became the propriety of the Gymnasium. Since that time, it always hosted schools and educational institutions, — even several of them the same time, as it was after the revolution. The only exceptions were during years of the revolution and in the period of 1941-1943 when the building was transformed to a hospital because of the Second World War.
The first and opening meeting of the Ural Society of Natural Science Lovers took place in the interiors of the Gymnasium in 1870, as the Society was organized by the Gymnasium’s professor Onisim Kler.
Currently the historical building of the gymnasium for males belongs to the city Gymnasium No.9. It is one of the best general education schools in Ekaterinburg. In November 2011, the habitants of the city celebrated the 150th anniversary of the Gymnasium No.9 as it’s considered as a successor of the Gymnasium for males named after the Emperor of Russia Alexander II.
| || |
4. The Embankment of Rabochaya Molodyozh
This wonderful embankment, situated on the right bank of the Isetsky artificial lake, is one of the oldest streets of Ekaterinburg. In the 18th century, when there was a first fortress on the territory of modern Ekaterinburg, the houses of the commanders’ houses were built on this side of the lake. In the 19th century, the embankment was riveted with granite, and 2 eminent buildings of classicism style were built there. Nowadays they form a unique atmosphere of the embankment.
1. The House of Merchant Pshenichnikov (for a long time the name was "The House of Peace and Friendship"), designed by an architect M. P. Malakhov, is situated on the Embankment of Rabochaya Molodyozh, 2. The house was built in the early 1930s by Ekaterinburg merchant I. Pshenichnikov. During the Soviet period, the house was given to different organizations by the local representatives of the Soviet Government, and finally, in 1986, in was renamed as the House of Peace and Friendship of the Sverdlovsk Region and hosted the cultural organization with the same name. In 2010, the local Reception Office of the Russian President was set up here.
2. The House of the Chief Head of Mining Ural Factories, designed by an architect M. P. Malakhov, is situated on the Embankment of Rabochaya Molodyozh’, 3. Built in 1812 as a residence of heads of Ural factories, the house welcomed the future Russian Emperor with his teacher, famous Russian poet V.A.Zhukovskiy. The most eminent habitant of this building was, most certainly, the chief head of mining factories of the Ural Range, Vladimir Andreyevich Glinka (1837 — 1856) who received the nickname "the skin of the Ural Range".
Two other “must see” buildings of the embankment were built already in 20th century:
1. The Drama Theater The new building of the Sverdlov Academic Theater of Drama was built in 1990 on the place of the old Ekaterinburg buildings of the Gimnazicheskaya Embankment. Now it hosts the best theatric performances of the city.
2. The House of the Government of the Sverdlovsk Region. This building had several official names throughout its history: “Obkom”, “The House of Councils” and “The House of the Government”. Unofficially,it is and was known as the “The Wisdom Tooth” or the “White House”. This was the first real sky-scraper in the city (24 stories), built to place Sverdlovsk Region Committee of the CPSU (the Communist Party of the Soviet Union) by an order of its first secretary Boris. N. Yeltsin.
| || |
5. The Historical Square
The square is the very center of Ekaterinburg considered to be itss historical beginning. It is a favorite place among city residents and is called «Plotinka» in common parlance.
The first industrial plants, dam and regular fortress were set up here by the end of 1723. By 1936 the Ekaterinburg’s Monetary Yard was open here, and for the next 140 years most of Russian copper coins were made here.
Nowadays the Monetary Yard building serves as the Museum of Fine Arts. Actually, the first theatric performances of Ekaterinburg were shown here — it was in 1843. Another eminent for the building event happened in 1900: an additional pavilion, the Kaslinskiy Pavilion, was created in frames of the complex for the World Expo taking place in Paris. The Kaslinskiy Pavilion was made of the cast iron and became the biggest architectural complex constructed in this metal. It’s not surprising that it was awarded by the Grand Prix and the Golden Medal of the Expo.
| || |
6. Water Tower
The Water Tower was built in the 1880s to service Ekaterinburg’s railway workshops which appeared in the place of the mechanical factory and former Monetary Yard at the time. The lower part of a hexagon volume of the water tower is laid with granite blocks and its upper tier is wooden — and they both are crowned with a light. The tower has been preserved in its original form and is considered as one of Ekaterinburg’s most famous landmarks.
| || |
7. Monument to V. N. Tatishchev and V. I. de Gennin
The monument to the founders of the city was created in 1998 to note the 275th anniversary of Ekaterinburg. Looking back in history, we must remember that V. N. Tatishchev came to the Urals in March of 1720. He had the aim to reform and to develop mining factories. But because of the conflict between Tatishchev and Demidovs, powerful local family, he had to stop his works. One of Demidovs wrote a denunciation of Tatishchev who was removed from the office and put to trial in August of 1722. The major-general, V. I. de Gennin, who earlier directed Olonetsk factories, was sent to the Urals at Tatishchev’s place. He started construction of a factory on the area previously chosen by Tatishchev, and successfully completed the project.
| || |
8. The Labour Square & the Chapel in the name of Saint Ekaterina
In the very beginning of its existence, the square was named Ekaterinenskaya because the first and the most honored temple of the city — the Ekaterinenskiy Cathedral — was located here. In 1930, the Cathedral was closed, and then demolished, and its cast-iron slabs were laid on the floor of the cast-iron workshop of the Uralmash factory being constructed.
In 1991, the first cross appeared on the square identifying the place of the former Ekaterinenskiy Cathedral. A few years later, in 1991, the cross was moved next to the place where the demolished cathedral had been located, in 1998 the Chapel of Saint Ekaterina was was constructed. In 2003, a capsule containing dirt from the burial site of the Ekaterinburg’s founder Vasiliy Tatishchev was placed inside the chapel.
The House of Council, another eminent building on the square, is known because this is where the first president of the Russian Federation, Boris Nikolayevich Yeltsin, began his political career.
| || |
9. The Zero Kilometer
This is a memorable sign at the Glavpochtamt building.
Situated on Lenin Avenue, 39
The Glavpochtamt building is located opposite to the House of Council on Lenin Avenue, 39. The building was built in 1934 and was named the House of Communication (the name followed the trend at that time: The House of Printing, the House of Justice, the House of Offices, the House of Defense and the House of Industry were also being built in the neighborhood).
By recommendation of the International Post Association, the city’s kilometers were tracked from the main Post Office as a starting point. The reference point of the Glavpochtamt building is drawn as a star on the map of the Sverdlovsk Region.
| || |
10. Monument to a radio inventor, A. S. Popov
Sculpturer V. E. Yegorov
On May 7, 1975, the monument to A. S. Popov was officially erected in Ekaterinburg (Sverdlovsk). It is a cast-iron sculpture painted in bronze: the scientist is depicted sitting on a bench in a thinking pose and listening to a radio receiver. Every year on May 7, students and graduates of the radio faculty of Ural State Technology Institute carry out a «thorough cleaning» around the monument and hold a festive procession along Lenin Avenue which ends at Popov’s monument.
In 1986, the museum of radio, named after Popov, opened in Ekaterinburg as well. The museum is, in fact, in the same house where the scientist lived with his elder sister and her husband. One of the central streets in Ekaterinburg and the radio technical college is also named after him.
| || |
11. State Stone-Cutting and Jewelers Art History Museum
Lenin Avenue, 37
Architect M. P. Malakhov
Thebuilding was constructed by M. P. Malakhov in 1820-21 as the Chief Chemist’s Shop of the Mining Department.
Since 1992, it serves as ArtState Stone-Cutting and Jewelers Art History Museum showcasing the history of Ural stone-cutting as well as its jewelry art. It is one of three «stone museums» in Ekaterinburg (along with the geological museum at the Mining University and V. Pelepenko’s private museum of stone).
The museum is famous for its collection of goods made of malachite. The highlights of the museum are the «Gold Storeroom» and the very interesting exhibit «Bazhov Room». Opposite to the museum a monument in the form of four-sided steel is located: cut by a cube and crowned by a marble ball, it’s dedicated to the first military unit made up in the city: Ekaterinburg’s musketeer regiment.
| || |
12. Sevastyanov House
Lenin Avenue, 35
Architect A. I. Paduchev
The Residence of the President of the Russian Federation, previously the House of Trade Unions Sevastyanov House is considered to be one of the most beautiful estates of Ekaterinburg’s historic center. Throughout its history, the building changed its exterior and owners. The architect A. Paduchev reconstructed the building, combining the eclectic Moresque and Gothic styles, in the second half of the XIXth century for a civil servant N.Sevastyanov. Sevastyanov was thought to be so rich that people used to tell stories about how he asked Russian Tsar’s permission to cover the roof of his estate with gold. Finally the permission was not given, moreover, Sevastyanov was told to attend the Saint Ekaterina Cathedral daily in cast-iron shoes to confess his sins.
Later Sevastyanov sold the house to the District Court.
After the revolution, in the Soviet period, the building was occupied by the Regional Council of Labor Unions. In 2008, a decision was made to begin restoration work. In 2009 the House became the Residence of the President of the Russian Federation.
| || |
13. Merchant Tarasov’s Mansion
The mansion is now the Residence of the Governor of the Sverdlovsk Region
Gorkiy Street, 21
Architect M. P. Malakhov
The home of the merchant Tarasov is one of the oldest stone residential constructions in the city. Members of the Tarasov family were serious and influential people: Savva Tarasov, who bought the house in 1837, was a rich local merchant; the grandfather and father of Savva Tarasov occupied the position of city mayor several times. Savva’s grandson — Pyotr Ivanovich — is the most famous from the younger generation of the Tarasov family. His fortune was secured by goldmines in the Southern Urals, but he was most widely known as a gold coin collector and an active participant of various cultural and charitable events in Ekaterinburg.
After the revolution, during Soviet times, the house served as the Teacher’s House. In 1997 the building was significantly restored and rebuilt as the Governor’s residence.
| || |
14. Literary Quarter
The historic heart of the city is the Literary Quarter filled with restored wooden buildings dedicated to Ekaterinburg’s literary heritage. Nowadays its romantic name represents one of the largest literary museums of Russia — the United Museum of Ural Writers, created in 1980 by uniting several literary-memorial museums.
Walking along the Red Line, one can see the following subdivisions of the united museum: the memorial house-museum of D. N. Mamin-Sibiryak; literary-memorial house-museum of F. M. Reshetnikov; museum «Literary Life of Ural of the 20th century»; the museum of dolls and children books «The Wonderland» — a museum recently opened (in May 2000) and dedicated to children. There are 3 more museums in the United Museum, but they are not located along the Red Line.
Near the Literary Quarter the Monument to the great Russian poet Alexandr Pushkin is located. Sculpture of G. A. Gevorkyan depicts the poet in a long dress with closed hands on his chest, under the power of inspiration. Pushkin had never been to Ekaterinburg. In the Ural region, he had been only to the Orenburzhskaya Gubernia where he collected materials about Pugachov’s rebellion. Still, during the poet’s lifetime, after the December rebellion failed, its leaders were condemned and exiled to Siberia, and the first groups of exiled stopped at the Ekaterinburg post-house. Pushkin’s close friends were among these exiled leaders’ groups; moreover, Pushkin himself could have been among the rebellions if he were in St. Petersburg this time, so he could have been here among his friends. That’s why the bronze monument to Pushkin was designed here to the 200th anniversary of the poet. Now the Sobornaya Street where this post-house was situated, is called Pushkin Street as well.
| || |
15. The Church on the Blood
The church was built in the place where, until the mid-70’s, the house of engineer Ipatyev stood. This house was selected in 1918 as the last place of imprisonment and assassination of the former emperor, Nikolay II, and his family. In 1977, the Ipatyev’s house was demolished and in 1990, the first memorial cross was constructed in the empty place.
At the the Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church in 2000, Nikolay II and his family were glorified and canonized as saint imperial Great Martyrs, and in 2003 in the place of the demolished house of Ipatyev, the a five-dome temple monument in Russian-Byzantium style was constructed with a dedicated plaque: «In the Name of All Saints on the Russian Land who shined».
From one side of the lower temple to the upper temple, one can walk up 23 stairs — this is the number of years during which Nikolay II ruled and also the same number of stairs that led from the upper floor to the lower one where the «shooting» room was located in the Ipatyev mansion. A sculpture is located along the stairs depicting Nikolay II and members of his family, created by K. V. Gruenberg.
| || |
16. Rastorguyev-Kharitonov's House
The building is currently the Palace of Student Art.
Karl Liebknecht Street, 44
Being the main decoration along Voznesenskiy Avenue, the most famous country estate of Ekaterinburg is known for its masters, guests and architects. It is surrounded in myth and legend and has been immortalized in literary works.
Lev Ivanovich Rastorguyev (1769-1823), one of the richest merchants in the Urals went down in history as the first owner and creator of the mansion. After the revolution, in 1924, the house was rented by the Ural Communist University, and after throughout reconstruction under the direction of architect V. V. Yemelyanov in 1936-37 it was handed over to the Palace of Pioneers. Then a circular pavilion and hanging bridge were constructed — much to the enjoyment of artists, wedding photographers and guides who always put the place to their «must see» lists.
| || |
17. Sverdlovsk State Academic Philharmonic Hall
Karl Liebknecht, 38A
Architects: K. T. Babykin, G. P. Valenkov, E. N. Korotkov
At the beginning of the 20th century, this was the building of the Business club where Ural merchants and manufacturers liked to meet.
Nowadays the Sverdlovsk State Academic Philharmonic Hall is one of the oldest philharmonic halls in Russia. It is the main concert stage of the world-famous Ural Academic Philharmonic Orchestra.
On September 29, 1936, the first season of the Sverdlovsk Philharmonic Hall was kicked off with a concert by the symphonic orchestra under the direction of the guest artist from the United States, Vladimir Savvich. From this moment, the concert hall made its mark as a fine venue of artistic performances which continues to today.
| || |
18. Photography Museum “Metenkov’s House”
Karl Liebknecht Street, 36/Pervomayskaya Street, 22
Architect Y. O. Dyutel’
The Photography Museum «Metenkov’s House» opened on August 10, 1998 in a two-story semi-stone house at the crossing of Pervomayskaya and Karl Liebknecht Streets. It is located in the same house which, until the revolution, belonged to the eminent local photographer, main photo-chronicler of the Ural Region and honorable Ekaterinburg city resident Veniamin Leontievich Metenkov (1857-1933).
Nowadays the Museum displays the apartment of Metenkov, photo studio of the beginning of the 20th century, large collection of photos, unique collections of old cameras etc. Different photo contests and modern photo expositions also take place here.
| || |
19. Ekaterinburg History Museum (Mansion of Major General Kachka)
Karl Liebknecht Street, 26
The main building of the estate was raised in 1820 by Ekaterinburg postmaster Gavrila Laishevsky; a little later a smaller outhouse was constructed. Of course, any postmaster could not afford a two-storied stone house. Gavrila Laishevskiy built it up not for himself and almost never lived there. Being located on the Siberian highway, the main road from the western border of the Russian Empire to its eastern part, this House was sort of a comfortable hotel for well-off people. That time travelers had to cover tremendous distances using postal horses, so they needed food and lodging.
In 1830 the House got new owners — Gavrila Kachka, a prominent mining specialist of the 18 century, and his family. The family belonged to a very significant in the Urals social circle of mining engineers, sort of elite of society. The Kachkas had left the house by the 1880s and dispersed all over the country.
In the 1880s the house served as a tavern or inn (in Russian it was called «traktir») and belonged to Vikenty A. Poklevskih-Kozell, born in Poland. Poklevskih-Kozell had a retail monopoly in alcohol in the Urals; he even finished the family-name abbreviation PK with a crown and turned it into a brand — «Potatory King».
After the revolution the house was nationalized and became a block of communal flats like thousands of buildings all over the country. In 1939 the Memorial museum of a famous local Yakov Sverdloff was open in the building. For some years the Museum had to share the house with communal flats, and then, in 1960, it occupied the whole building.
A new life of the Museum started earlier in 1992 when it was re-organized into Ekaterinburg History Museum.
| || |
20. Building of the First City Theater
Lenin Avenue, 43
Architect K. G. Turskiy
The First City Theater was constructed in 1845 at the initiative of the legendary mining head and general V. A. Glinka. In this stone building, the theater stood until 1912. On November 7, 1896 one of the first films in Ekaterinburg was shown here. In 1914, the City Theater was renamed to the «Coliseum» and is now used as a cinema.
| || |
21. “Uralsky rabochy” Printing House
Lenin Avenue, 49
Architect G. A. Golubev
The Printing House is one of the most interesting monuments of architecture designed in 1929–1930 in constructivism style. It was built in the center of Ekaterinburg in 1930 under the project of architect G. A. Golubev with the aim to publish the most important newspapers in Ural -“Uralsky rabochy” ("Ural Worker") and “Na smenu!”. After the World War II the “Uralsky rabochy” Printing House started publishing books as well.
Nowadays the “Uralsky rabochy” Printing House serves as a media-holding. All the printing equipment has been relocated to a different venue in 2010 as the building has a cultural value, and right now there’s a book shop of the holding called “100000 knig” (“100000 books”).
Of course, as an important cultural venue, “Uralsky rabochy” hosts art events – for example, the First Ural Industrial Biennial of Contemporary Art took place here September 9 – October 10, 2010.
| || |
22. Ural State University Building
This building is one of the educational buildings of the Ural Federal University named after the first President of Russia, B. N. Yeltsin.
Lenin Avenue, 51
Architect A. P. Taff
Ural State University named after A.M. Gorky (USU) was founded on October 19, 1920.
In 2012, The Ural State University had been reformed into Ural Federal University named after the first President of Russia, B. N. Yeltsin who graduated from the Ural Polytechnic Institute (UPI, a part of UrFU today) in 1955 as a construction engineer. The programs and projects being implemented by the former Ural State University are now being implemented within Ural Federal University
| || |
23. Theater of Opera and Ballet
Lenin Avenue, 46
The project author V. I. Smirnov
The theater’s history dates back to 1898 when the architectural professor Y. O. Dyutel’ developed his first project. At that time, an all-Russian competition was announced for the project of the city theater building. In October 1912, the theater opened its first season with an opera by M. I. Glinka — «Life for the Tsar». And on the day after the October Revolution, on October 26, 1917, the Ekaterinburg Council of Workers and Soldier Deputies declared the establishment of a new regime from the theater stage which reached across the country. During the Soviet time it was called «the laboratory of soviet opera» and often the inscription: «The right of the first performance belongs to the theater» appeared in playbills.
In 2008, the famous Bolshoy Theater from Moscow performed its ballet for the first time on the stage of the Ekaterinburg Theater of Opera and Ballet and performances were accompanied by a theater orchestra.
| || |
24. Monument to Vladimir Vysotsky and Marina Vlady
The project of Alexander Silnitsky.
The monument of Vladimir Vysotsky, famous Soviet singer, was created in the beginning of 2006 to celebrate his anniversary (he could have 72 this year). The bronze monument represents the singer and Marina Vlady, a French actress who was his long-term long-distance love. The concept of the monument and the image of Vysotsky performing a song to Marina Vlady with guitar accompaniment were initially agreed upon with the bard’s son Nikita Vysotsky.
The monument is located opposite to the hotel «Bolshoy Ural» where Vysotsky stayed during his visits. Now the business-center, sky-scraper of 186 meters high, «Vysotsky» is located at the place of the ancient hotel. It has the highest sight area in Russia beyond the boundaries of Moscow, opened on May 4, 2012 on the 52nd floor.
| || |
25. “Hotel Ekaterinburg-Tsentralnaya” (previously “Tsentralnaya” hotel)
Malyshev Street, 72
Architect V. Dubrovin
Hotel «Tsentralnaya» is considered to be a real heritage of the city, kind of legendary — that was the first hotel opened here in 1840.
During the Second World War, the hotel welcomed evacuated families in its refurnished as apartments rooms. Then, in 1946, as the War was finished, the hotel «Tsentralnaya» became a hotel again. Later, it has undergone several renovations and today the building is considered to be a monument of architecture of the 20th century. In 1993, the hotel was given its new name «Hotel Ekaterinburg-Tsentralnaya».
| || |
26. “American Hotel”
Malyshev Street, 68
The former hotel complex located in the historic, central part of the city was the most luxury hotel of Ekaterinburg of 19th century. The hotel buildings were a part of the large mansion of merchant P. K. Kholkin, located at the corner of the former Zlatousovskaya Street (R. Luxembourg Street now), at its intersection with Pokrovskiy Avenue (Malyshev Street now).
Nobody could ever explain why the hotel was named «American Hotel» — the only person who knew the reasons was its founder P. K. Kholkin.
| || |
27. House of E. D. Scriabina
Gorky Street, 6
Architect M. L. Reutov
The building is a great example of eclectic style building of Ekaterinburg of the end of 19th century.
This stone one-stored building with a small basement is located in the block of the former 2nd Beregovaya street building. The main facade with its striking exterior dominates the overall house composition. Decorative details — blades in piers, double-part frontons above the windows, arcade bands and reliefs of small geometric patterns are distinctive forms of the end of the 19th and early 20th centuries.
| || |
28. Building of the City Power Station “Luch”
Gorkiy Street, 43
Architect A. S. Chirkovskiy
«Luch» is one of the first power stations built in Ekaterinburg in the beginning of the 20th century. The power station building is maintained in the «brick style», popular in at that time, with elements of modern style. This object remains mostly unknown by city residents, though it’s an interesting monument of engineering. We do hope that this building will acquire a new life one day, possibly, as an art object — some examples of transforming of such objects already exist in the modern art history.
| || |
29. House of V. I. Chuvil’din
Gorkiy Street, 14
Architect A. S. Chirkovsky
This house was built in the beginning of the 20th century in «the brick style» popular at the times. With its Eastern facade, the house faces Gorkiy Street, with its Western one, it looks out upon the Iset’ river. The building id constructed on several levels of the steep bank of the Iset river, and that’s why it has a specific pitch of roof and fronton. This house is the only one of its kind in Ekaterinburg. Recently the Keyboard Monument was constructed near the house, and young habitants of the city are joking that the house and the monument near the river look like a big system unit.
| || |
30. Monument to the Keyboard (Keyboard Monument)
The project of A.Vyatkin
The Keyboard Monument is the first land-art sculpture in Ekaterinburg dedicated to the electronic keyboard. It was created on October 5, 2005, on the second tier of the Iset river embankment, on the Gogol Street side.
It looks like a gigantic computer keyboard with 86 concrete keys. The keys are located in the hollows with intervals of 15 cm. The weight of each key reaches 80 kg. The surface of the keys is flat with relief signs for the alphabet and functional symbols, located in the same order as on a real keyboard. The concrete keyboard symbolizes the integration of communication between Europe and Asia.
Though it was not acknowledged by local authorities as a culturally significant object, the keyboard was included in many unofficial guide-books devoted to Ekaterinburg. The local IT-community treats the sculpture with great respect calling it with love «Our Klava» (It’s popular to call the keyboard «klava» in Russia).
| || |
31. The Monument to “The Beatles” Band
The project’s author V. Okladnikov
The monument to «The Beatles» band in Ekaterinburg was installed on the 23rd of May 2009, becoming the first monument dedicated to the famous Liverpool group in Russia. The project’s author is Vadim Okladnikov. The monument is made in the «Ural spirit» — cast-iron silhouettes of the Liverpool four at the background of the brick wall look striking enough. Inscription «The love you take is equal to the love you make» stands out next to the monument.
Sir Paul hasn’t had time to visit it yet but John Lennon’s band Quarrymen came to the opening ceremony. Now the monument is also supported by the Wall of Love. The wall depicts the houses of the Beatles in Liverpool and everyone can leave a peaceful message on it.
| || |
32. The House of Defence
Malyshev Street, 31D
Architect G. P. Valenkov
Almost at the crossroads of Malyshev and 8 Marta Streets, a monument in constructivism style is located — «The House of Defence» built in 1930s under the project of architect G. P. Valenkova. At the roof of the one-story building there’s a small red plane, and from some point of view at Malyshev street the House itself can look like a ship.
Not far away from the building the Monument to I. M. Malyshev — a local revolutionary leader who was killed during the Civil War — is situated. Currently people call it «the monument to the greatcoat», and it’s a popular meeting point of the local youth.
| || |
33. Bolshoy Zlatoust Church (Big Zlatoust, Big Chrysostom, Maximilian Church)
The church in the name of Saint Great Martyr Maximillian, more known as «Bolshoy Zlatoust», was founded in 1847 at the crossroads of Pokrovskiy Avenue (Malyshev Street now) and Uktusskaya Street (8 Marta Street now). The building of the church is made in the style of Moscow baroque that distinguishes it from the most of other city churches built in the classicism style, except for Voznesenskaya Church.
After the Russian Revolution the church of St. Maximian was closed for worship and eventually dismantled (in 1930) to make way for a statue of Lenin and Stalin. The church was rebuilt in 2009; the builders relied on old photographs and descriptions.
| || |
34. The House of Offices
Malyshev Street, 42
Architect V. I. Smirnov
With its angular rounded accent and deepened main entrance, «The House of Offices» resembles the «Ural Worker» Printing Houseat Lenin Avenue. The building created in the constructivism style was constructed in 1929 by the project of architects G. P. Valenkov and V. I. Smirnov and represents a typical example of architecture of the office buildings of that period.
| || |
35. Ekaterinburg residents often call the street «Our Arbat».
This definition has appeared before 2003 when the street became exclusively pedestrian. Previously the street was named Uspenskaya and connected 2 big market squares.
The even-numbered side of the street is still full of historic buildings — rich merchants’ mansions and apartment complexes. Another side consists of buildings of the XX century. These are the house of the City Council (a residential house now in the constructivism style), the building of the printing-house «Granite» built in the style «functional modern» rare for the city, now it places one of exhibits of the Museum of Fine Arts. And modern «Passage» built in 1919-1925 for the Commodity Exchange is under reconstruction now.
As the street is pedestrian and very popular as a great place for small walks and leisure time, it has all the necessary commodities like nice banks and flowerbeds and is decorated by funny small street sculptures. The sculptures draw the attention of its guests first of all: «Bicycle Inventor» and «In Love» (S. Prokhoenko), «Friends» (B. Klochkov), «Hawker» (A. Tuishin), «Driver» and «Banker» (B. Ryzhov).